It’s a valuable talent to know how to style streetwear fashion in 2022. Why? Because streetwear apparel, ensembles, and companies are currently sweeping the fashion world. A fast search of the internet yields a plethora of articles regarding streetwear trends, designers, and businesses.
The majority of these tips, however, are either old or irrelevant. But don’t worry! In this post, I’ll show you the most up-to-date streetwear fashion styles for 2022, as determined by who matters the most.
What Is the Definition of Streetwear?
Streetwear is a casual fashion trend that rose to prominence in the 1990s. It includes items like as graphic tees, hoodies, sweatpants, and high-end sneakers that are both comfortable and fashionable. Streetwear is influenced by hip-hop culture as well as skater fashion, with the added aspect of product scarcity. Hypebeasts are fans of the current streetwear trends, and many go to considerable efforts to obtain limited-edition designer baseball caps, sweatshirts, sneakers, and other items.
4 Streetwear Style Characteristics
Despite the fact that streetwear can span a wide range of design styles, streetwear looks frequently revolve around four key characteristics.
- Comfort: Casual clothing and athleisure essentials such as sweatshirts and joggers make up streetwear clothing. It’s probably not streetwear if you can’t skate in it.
- Limited-edition: Limited-edition goods are a big part of Hypebeast culture. This sense of scarcity might make desired things appear more fashionable. It’s the same philosophy that underpins haute couture, but it’s more accessible in streetwear.
- Menswear: Streetwear is intimately linked to menswear and typically male things like bomber jackets and workwear, despite the fact that it is popular with people of all genders.
- Contemporary art: Some of the most popular graphic shirts and streetwear logos take inspiration from contemporary artists’ work or parody classic works. Sometimes these collaborations are sanctioned, and sometimes they aren’t.
Now that you’ve understood the elements above, here are the 5 best tips for streetwear clothing style this 2022.
1. Oversized Hoodies
Keep in mind that new designers arise every day, and no trend lasts indefinitely. Similarly, some streetwear styles are more popular than others. There is one exception, however: traditional Japanese streetwear. This streetwear style, with its oversized sweatshirt, three-quarter shorts, shoes, and high socks, never goes out of style.
The colour you choose isn’t important, but white or black is best. However, as Billie did with her brilliant green blouse, make sure to include something that dissolves the colour. Don’t forget that sneakers are an essential (if not the most significant) component of this distinct streetwear look.
There are a plethora of online sneaker shops to choose from but always buy from reliable sneaker websites.
2. Bold and Colourful Coats
With the return of The Matrix to the big screen, it’s time to reminisce about some of the fantastic looks from the film. The film was – and continues to be – a great source of streetwear style inspiration. These streetwear ensembles are making a reappearance this year, thanks to the announcement of the next Matrix film.
However, as seen in Rihanna’s dress above, with a twist: in bright and colourful hues. You may also add a Japanese fashion element to your streetwear by wearing a long kimono jacket.
3. Loose Fittings
The ‘oversized office suit’ is another Matrix-inspired streetwear trend that is currently in style in 2020.
Bella Hadid, in the photo above, is a fantastic illustration of how the style works on girls. Bella has paired the suit with a white tank top and a pair of casual trainers.
Nonetheless, she cleverly contrasts the grey-white colour scheme with a vibrant red book. Thanks to a TikTok subculture known as ‘Dark Academia,’ this aesthetic and colour combination has exploded in popularity.
Altogether, the look exudes a strong, independent, and hardworking lady – remove your laces for an added touch of I don’t give a damn!
4. Blend Sportswear
Contrast classic styles with sporty, athleisure attire by using the ‘American blend.’ The American streetwear style, like the Japanese streetwear style, has its own distinct cultural components.
Teyana Taylor, for example, combines a classic denim jacket with a truck driver cap in the photo above. Tyana’s streetwear outfit is quite elaborate, despite its chaotic appearance.
The first colour choice, metallic grey, is created for the bag, earrings, and nails. The milky brown of the dress and the boots are the second colour choice. Finally, the blue denim jacket beautifully breaks down both colours.
5. Not Branded/ Silent Logos
You have two options when it comes to streetwear and brand logos. Either go for a loud AF look, which is a prevalent trend in Japanese streetwear, particularly in Kyoto.
Alternatively, go completely silent, with no logos at all, as is more popular in Europe and the United States. Make sure you turn down the volume if you want to hear the logos.
Other Tips for Styling Streetwear
Buying and selling limited-edition goods is a key aspect of streetwear fashion. While this may not be possible for everyone, you may nonetheless incorporate streetwear fashion into your look.
- Invest in a pair of sneakers. Sneakers are frequently the most crucial (and most expensive) component of a hypebeast’s appearance. Sneakers are the way to go if you want to make a large style statement with just one piece of clothing.
- Keep your logo to a single design. Because brand loyalty is such an important aspect of streetwear culture, it’s uncommon to see a devoted fan layering multiple brands in a single outfit. If you just have a few pieces from different streetwear labels, try focusing on one logo at a time and filling in the gaps with workplace and athletic wear.
- Experiment with different proportions. Bringing sweatshirts into the realm of high fashion was one of streetwear’s major fashion successes. Baggy denim, oversize hoodies, and other loose-fitting items are popular among streetwear fans, who defy the norms of proportion for a trendy appearance.
- Be true to yourself. The beginnings of streetwear may be traced back to counterculture and DIY. While there may appear to be a lot of regulations at the moment, authentic streetwear is all about being yourself. Don’t be scared to try out new combos; you might just find yourself ahead of the game.
It’s now your time…
Which of these streetwear trends do you like, and why? Do you have any further suggestions to add to this list?
Please share your thoughts in the comments section so that others can benefit from your knowledge.