The most common file format now used by various email clients to store mailbox contents is the MBOX file. As an illustration, consider Thunderbird, Mac Mail, Entourage, Eudora, and Powermail. Users may need to open an MBOX file in Outlook versions 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, or 2003 in a number of circumstances. One must export MBOX to an Outlook data file to accomplish this (PST). Users typically favor Outlook over MBOX email clients due to requirements relating to their place of employment.
Overview of MBOX and PST File Formats
MBOX is a generic file format that has several subtypes, including mbx, mbox, and mbs files. In actuality, each email client utilizes a different variant, such as Thunderbird using MBOX files without an extension, Apple Mail favoring those with the MBO extension, Opera using .mbs files, etc. The storage is only allowed for emails and attachments, which is a feature shared by all of them.
PST files, however, are Microsoft’s exclusive file format. Indeed, it keeps duplicates of contacts, calendar events, emails, and other data. Additionally, PST file format is supported by Microsoft applications, such as MS Outlook and MS Exchange programs. Overall, it is chosen because of its capabilities for mobility and usability.
Overall, it is preferred over MBOX because of its portability and usability advantages.
Additionally, neither Microsoft Outlook nor the MBOX email applications have any native functionality for email transfer between them. Users who want to read their emails in Outlook 2019, 2016, or 2013 must first convert MBOX to PST files due to the technical consequences of these email formats.
Quick and Safe Method to Import MBOX Files into Outlook
Here, we’ll use Thunderbird, a free email client, as a middleman to transfer MBOX files into Outlook PST. To do this, just adhere to these simple instructions:
- To import an MBOX file, use Mozilla Thunderbird
- Email conversion to EML format
- Drag and Drop
- Emails are exported to Outlook PST file.
#1 Import MBOX File using Mozilla Thunderbird
- Install Thunderbird as your email client first. Set up any fictitious or legitimate webmail account.
- Now select the Add-on option from the Tools menu (Press the Alt key if the menu is hidden).
- Enter “import-export” into the search box here.
- Then select the ImportExportTools NG button that says “Add to Thunderbird.”
- To install this free add-on and restart Thunderbird, click the Install Now button here.
- After that, click on Tools > ImportExportTools NG > Import MBOX file and choose Local folders from the mailbox list.
- Select the MBOX file(s) to import after that and follow the on-screen instructions. The imported MBOX file will now be visible under the Local Folders mailbox.
#2 Change Email Format to EML
- MBOX cannot be exported directly to Outlook. And to achieve the goal, this indirect method uses the EML format.
- All the emails you want to migrate to Outlook should be selected when you open the imported mailbox file.
- And that process takes a very, very long time.
#3 Create an Outlook PST file from emails
- You can use Outlook 2019’s native Import/Export capability if you particularly want PST files.
- Select Open & Export > Import/Export from the File menu.
- Next, select Export to a file and press Next.
- Select Outlook Data file (.pst) and press Next once again.
- Click Next after choosing the mailbox folder where the EML files were imported.
- Give a location for the emails to be exported, then click Finish.
- At last, a PST file will show up at the chosen place.
#4 Reliable and Automated Method to Open an MBOX file in Outlook
The manual technique for exporting MBOX files into Outlook takes a lot of time and effort. If the user only needs to open an MBOX file in Outlook and make this conversion on a small number of emails, it might be a viable strategy. Additionally, in order to succeed in using this strategy, users must possess a technical understanding of both Thunderbird and Microsoft Outlook.
Therefore, it is preferable to choose expert solutions in order to avoid the disadvantages of the manual method. Tools like MBOX provide a wide range of options to help users with the conversion process.
Additionally, users can also import MBOX to Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird, Zoho Mail, Zimbra Webmail, and many other email services. You can also choose certain emails or files to convert to Outlook PST format. You can even choose to exclude certain information.
You can even choose to exclude emails based on a selected period range.
25 emails per folder can be converted to Outlook PST files for free in the demo version, and all emails and attachments can be seen.
How to Use This Tool to Open an MBOX File in Outlook?
Step 1. Open Advik MBOX Converter, then select “Add Files.”
Step 2. Select “Next” and add MBOX files.
Step 3. After the MBOX emails have been scanned, “Preview” all of the emails and attachments.
Step 4. Select “PST” as the export type and save the file where you want it to be.
Step 5. Use Outlook’s free native import function to import the PST file.
Import PST File in Outlook 2019, 2016, and 2013
Observe the procedures below if you don’t know how to import a PST file into Outlook:
- Go to File in MS Outlook 2019 and choose Open & Export > Import/Export Outlook’s import-export menu
- choose Import from another program or file in the Import menu to continue.
- Now, in the Import and Export wizard, choose Import from another program or file. In Outlook 2019, choose Import from Another File.
- After that, select Outlook Data file (.pst) and press the Next button.
- Then, navigate to the PST file you want to import into Outlook, choose it, and then adjust the other settings to your liking. Then press the Next button Last but not least, select Import items to the current folder and press Finish.
- Now, in just a few seconds, all of your data has been successfully imported into MS Outlook 2019.
Despite being free and readily available, manual techniques to import MBOX to Outlook are time-consuming and tiresome. No matter which email client customers are using, it is difficult to transfer their data into Outlook. Therefore, we have included solutions for free MBOX import into Outlook in this article. Additionally, we have detailed a computerized MBOX Extractor that swiftly creates PST files and imports them into Outlook 2021, 2019, 2016, and 2013. It’s equally crucial to make sure you test out the free trial version before making a choice!